FAQ / Help file for the AYIN email discussion list
All you need to know about this list is given below in these frequently asked questions:
- Who uses this discussion list?
- Who manages the list?
- How do I subscribe?
- How do I unsubscribe?
- How do I post a message to the list?
- Where are the list archives?
- What happens when my email address changes ...?
- Important advice on list etiquette
- Replying to messages on the list
What can be sent to AYIN
(job ads, newsletters)
What can't be sent to AYIN
(please read, re attachments)
How do I format my message ?
(about plain text and hypertext email)
Anyone with an interest in the youth sector in Australia is welcome to join this list.
The list is managed by Anne Hugo, through the Australian Clearinghouse for Youth Studies, along with Roger Holdsworth, throgh the University of Melbourne's youth Research Centre. List contact details: ph: (03) 6226 2591; fax: (03) 6226 2578; email: Anne [email protected]; mobile number: 0418 508 845.
For technical problems unresolved, send all details of any problems you may be experiencing, eg. getting on or off the list, to the mailing list service at: [email protected]
- Simply send a blank email to ayin-on [at] mail-list.com from the email address at which you wish to receive mail from AYIN.
- Make sure you REPLY to the auto-message that will arrive asking you to confirm your wish to be subscribed to the list.
- You will then get a welcome message with list use instructions similar to this information.
- You can easily unsubscribe at any time by sending a blank email message to ayin-off [at] mail-list.com
To un-subscribe from AYIN, simply send a blank email to ayin-off [at] mail-list.com This will work automatically if you are using the same email account that you used to subscribe when you sent the message to ayin-on [at] mail-list.com
If you find you have trouble unsubscribing, send a message to [email protected]
To send a message to everyone subscribed to the AYIN list, send a message to ayin [at] mail-list.com
Browse the AYIN list message archives: http://archive.mail-list.com/ayin/
A password is required to prevent email addresses from being harvested: login using the word, ayin, and the next field requires you to type: ayin-list.
Have you changed your workplace, surname or service provider? This often results in a change of email address. Keep track of the he email discussion lists you have joined in the past and let the relevant list manager know your new address, so that your subscription remains current. Discussion lists operate automatically and until your 'old' email address is reported as 'out of order', messages will continue to be sent to that address until you advise otherwise.
So, if you have a new email address, and if wish to stay subscribed, please tell the list manager of your new email address. (In the case of this list, simply contact [email protected], giving all details of your email addresses including old ones which should be unsubscribed.)
The usual 'etiquette' for email discussion lists applies:
- stay on topic
- try not to 'inflame' discussion
- respect your fellow list members and avoid unreasonable criticism of those expressing opinions with which you disagree.
- discussion on a topic which is prolonged beyond usefulness, off-topic, or related to personal issues may cause the list owner to request that the discussion be held elesewhere.
Postings to email discussion lists are very public. Therefore before replying understand how the list works:
- Check your message before hitting 'Send', for appropriateness and for the correct TO: address(es). Remember: once you have hit 'send', your message cannot be stopped from going to the whole list of subscribers, if the TO field contains "ayin [at] mail-list.com"
- 'Replies' go automatically only to the original sender, that is. any message posted to ayin [at] mail-list.comm will go automatically only to the original sender, not the whole list. To reply to everyone on the list, you need to alter the TO field to make it contain"ayin [at] mail-list.com". Consider: Is this a reply to an individual? Then leave the TO field as it was; or to everyone on the list? Then alter the TO field to ayin [at] mail-list.com
Newsletters: Some points to consider before posting your newsletter: If your organisation produces a regular email newsletter, why not tell AYIN about your newsletter and invite people to contact you if they want a copy? If you think absolutely everyone on the list definitely will be interested in your newsletter, then post it to the list. However, please remember if it is long, some people who have expensive connection fees associated with getting email may not appreciate getting your newsletter without having requesting it.
Job advertisements: These can be sent to AYIN provided that they relate specifically to positions in youth organisations or youth affairs in Australia and are brief; maybe there is an attachment you can send interested individuals who respond to your initial short AYIN message.
Attachments: At this point in time, due to virus concerns, this email list's software prevents attachments from being sent to the list. Therefore, please place the contents of your attachment in the body of the email message. Alternatively, post a short message to the list outlining the content of your flyer/attachment and invite those people on the list who are interested in receiving it to request the attachment directly from you.
Emails to AYIN subscribers arrive in plain text, no matter how an email message is originally formatted. This means that font colours, fancy fonts etc won't appear to readers of your AYIN messages. Therefore, please write email addresses and web site addresses in plain text (check that they are not embedded or buried inside hot-linked words in 'styled' messages). For example, add the "http://" to web addresses, to help other readers navigate to website addresses easily.
Is there another topic that should be explained here?
Contact the list manager now.