About the Centre for Adolescent Health
Recent awards received
|?||Victorian Adolescent Health Cohort Study highlighted in NHMRC's "Ten of the Best" publication|
Advancing adolescent health knowledge, practice and policy.
The Centre for Adolescent Health believes:
- Young people are to be valued for who they are now, not simply for who they will become;
- The social and cultural values of young people and their families are to be respected;
- Family and school provides the most important social environment for young peoples? development;
- The health of young people?depends as much on developing individual strengths as it does on reducing risk factors;
- Research is an essential driver of better health practice;
- An understanding of adolescent development underpins practice;
- Young people have a right to private and confidential health care;
- Adolescent health practice extends beyond working with individual young people and their family to include working with the schools and local communities in which they live;
- Opportunities for ongoing education and learning are fundamental to improving the capacity of professionals to work with young people;
- The strength and capacity of our staff lies in the expertise, experience and energy they bring to our work;
- Encouraging, valuing and respecting staff diversity is fundamental to effective partnerships and collaborations;
- Communication, discussion and debate are part of working effectively together;
- Managing performance provides the opportunity to adapt, improve and change direction to more effectively deliver our purpose.
Welcome from the Director of the Centre for Adolescent Health, Professor Susan Sawyer.