ACYS Home < Backspace Information services Help spaceFeedback spaceContact spaceSearch spaceSite map
About ACYS
Youth work / youth studies
Short courses
Information sources on courses

Courses in youth work

Tertiary courses | Non-tertiary, post-secondary courses | Short courses | Faith-based youth work courses

Tertiary courses:

Below is a brief outline of youth work training at the tertiary level in Australia. Readers wishing to pursue a career in this field should consult individual universities to find out the extent of youth work training offered at various levels.

Youth work, as a professional discipline, is often taught in Australia at tertiary level as a major component within Bachelor degrees.

In some cases, degree courses require that prospective students apply for entry through a diploma course within that university's TAFE division. Also, youth work features as a component within education and social welfare courses. As these are so numerous they are not listed here.

The courses listed below are specifically undergraduate courses that have a significant youth work component or that equip one for work with young people; and postgraduate courses that facilitate youth research. Also see our list of international courses at the end of this page, which may be of interest to Australian students.

State or Territory:


Australian Catholic University Limited
Master of Youth Studies
Graduate Diploma in Youth Studies
Graduate Certificate in Youth Studies
Australian Catholic University National, Canberra Campus (Signadou)
PO Box 256, Dickson ACT 2602
See web site for details.

NSW courses

University of Western Sydney, Bankstown campus
* Bachelor of Community Welfare (Youth Work)
* Bachelor of Community Welfare (Honours) Youth Work
* Bachelor of Youth Work
* Graduate Certificate in Social Science (Child and Youth Studies)
* Graduate Diploma in Social Science (Child and Youth Studies)
* Master in Social Science (Child and Youth Studies)
This university also offers a Masters degree in care and protection of children and young people. Address: Locked Bag 1797, Penrith South, DC NSW 2214
Ph: 1800 897669
Web site:

The NSW Institute of Psychiatry
* Master of Mental Health (Child and Adolescent)
* Graduate Certificate in Mental Health (Child and Adolescent)
* Graduate Diploma in Mental Health (Child and Adolescent)
Address: Locked Bag 7118, Parramatta BC NSW 2150
Ph: (02) 9840 3833
Web site:

Northern Territory courses

(No listing)

Queensland courses

Queensland University of Technology, Carseldine Campus
For courses taught, contact faculty at: ph: (07) 3864 4611; Fax: (07) 3864 4995
Web site:

University of Queensland
The following three levels at UQ include Community and Adolescent Heath components:
Graduate Certificate in Health Studies
Graduate Diploma in Health Studies
Master of Health Studies
Web site:

South Australian courses

(No listing)

Tasmanian Courses

(No listing)

Victorian courses

Australian Catholic University, Melbourne Campus
* Bachelor of Social Science (Youth Studies)
Address: Australian Catholic University National, PO Box 256, Dickson ACT 2602
Web site:

Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT)
* Bachelor of Arts (Youth Affairs)
* Bachelor of Social Science (Youth Work)
* Master of Education (Youth Development Education)
See: [PDF document]
Contact RMIT admissions for current information]
Address: RMIT Office for Prospective Students, RMIT University
GPO Box 2476V, Melbourne, VIC, 3001
Ph: (03) 9925 2260 (Admissions)

University of Melbourne
* Master of Youth, Health, Education and Welfare
* Graduate Diploma in Adolescent Health and Welfare
* Graduate Diploma in Mental Health Sciences (Child, Adolescent and Family Mental Health)
Contact: Education and Training Unit, Centre for Adolescent Health, 2 Gatehouse St, Parkville, Victoria 3052
Ph: (03) 9345 6673 Fax: 03 9345 6273
Web site: and

* Master of Youth Health and Education Management
This is to be offered at the University of Melbourne by the Centre for Adolescent Health, the Australian Youth Research Centre and the Department of Learning Education Development. Contact the Melbourne Education Student Centre, University of Melbourne: ph: (03) 8344 8285, or send an email to: [email protected]
See also their web site.

* Graduate diploma/certificate in Adolescent Health and Welfare
Offered by the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, University of Melbourne and Department of Paediatrics. Contact the Centre for Adolescent Health
Web site:

Victoria University, Footscray Campus
* Bachelor of Arts (Youth Studies)
* Masters of Education, Experiential Learning and Development (major streams: wilderness adventure-based therapy, community arts or youth development)
Ph: (03) 9688 4861; fax: (03) 9688 4646
Web site: (link to course information)

Australian Youth Research Centre, University of Melbourne
The centre provides support for the Master of Youth Health and Education Management mentioned above via the Unviersity of Melbourne, as well as supervision of postgraduate studies (Masters by thesis or course work and PhD) . Address: Australian Youth Research Centre, Faculty of Education, University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010.
Ph: (03) 8344 9633; fax: (03) 8344 9632
Email: [email protected]

Western Australian courses

Edith Cowan University, Joondalup Campus
* Bachelor of Social Science (Youth Work)
* Bachelor of Social Science (Youth Work) with Honours
* Bachelor of Arts (Education) / Bachelor of Social Science (Youth Health and Physical Activity)
Contact: the course advisor, ph: (08) 6304 6304.
Web site:

International courses of interest to Australian students:

Commonwealth Youth Programme
Diploma in Youth in Development Work
For professional youth development workers in over 40 countries of the Commonwealth. Web site: http:///

The World Assembly of Youth, in conjunction with UNESCO, at times conducts a Certificate in Youth Studies program. See the TakingITGlobal web site at:

International Centre for Distance Learning, The Open University
Offered through Lews Castle College: see BA, Child and youth studies

New Zealand: Auckland College of Education

United Kingdom: Open University courses in childhood and youth studies.

Last updated: 1 December, 2004


Information here has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable. However, before acting on this information, check with the relevant course provider(s) for the current details about their courses. This list may not be exhaustive nd despite our best efforts, may not be current.

Youth research:
All those universities with youth studies areas have the capacity to supervise postgraduate research candidates for Masters and PhD programs.

A supervisor can help you in thinking about your postgraduate research and will direct you to resources and research in your general field. Some universities will have a research unit focused on your particular area of interest, containing the work of academics on that subject. To locate such units, try using universities' web sites.

Youth research centres:

Also see list of other sources (e.g. web sites and print directories) giving information on tertiary courses.

------To top of page

Home | About ACYS | ACYS publications| | ACYS databases | ACYS information services | Networks
Help | Feedback | Contact | Search | Site map

Copyright and disclaimers
Australian Clearinghouse for Youth Studies
, University of Tasmania.

Please direct all questions or comments about this page to the ACYS webmaster.
Authorised by the Director, Australian Clearinghouse for Youth Studies, University of Tasmania.